Head eye vestibular rehab and decreasing concussion symptoms

Back Pain, Headaches, Pain, Proprioception, RightEye - Eye tracking and performance, Spine Care
Eye movements are intrinsic to moving and doing normal living activities. But eye movements are also the window to spine function too. Because head-eye-neck-upper limb movements are wired together via the Tectospinal tract when eye movements lose their smoothness, accuracy, speed.  If there is a breakdown in the reflex head and eye movements known as the vestibular ocular reflex or volitional movements such as smooth pursuit, saccades etc,  this can cause neck pain, headaches, shoulder pain etc. This occurs with a breakdown in proprioception which is how the spine and head moves in relationship to the vestibular and eye movement systems . Concussion is a significant injury that can go undetected and can have life long effects if untreated. The ability to detect abnormal eye movements is extremely difficult without…
Read More

Posturography; what is it and why?

Back Pain, Facet joints, Intervertebral Discs, Muscles and Tendons, Proprioception, Spine Care, Uncategorized, Vertebrae
[caption id="attachment_384" align="alignleft" width="300"] Normal Lumbar spine[/caption] The Lumbar spine has a weight bearing role, approximately 84% is carried by the vertebrae and discs and remaining 16%  by the facet joints and lamina. A common development over time is the degeneration or loss of height of the intervertebral disc (IVD) this can alter the weight bearing to posterior components being facet joints. This changes the way the small muscles of the spine send movement signals back to the brain decreasing accurate control and therefore stability as indicated by this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24284274  [Influences of posterior located centre of gravity on lumbar extension strength, balance and lumbar lordosis in chronic back pain.] This article suggests that a more posterior centre of gravity affects lumbar back strength, your balance because it alters sensory input to your brain…
Read More

Spine Care

Back Pain, Spine Care
Primary Spine Care As a Chiropractor my interest is focused on the Spine.  Primary Spine Care such as; Rehabilitating Disc injuries, Sciatica, Pelvic injuries, Radiating arm or leg pain, Referred pain from inflamed discs or facet joints is a specific topic, similar in concept to Dental Care. The interplay between the Nervous,  Muscular and skeletal systems gives rise to the dynamic functional Neuromusculoskeletal (NMS) concept. The NMS system describes the function of the Brain to perceive its environment through sensory systems, integrate that information and respond to perform an action if needed.   (more…)
Read More